I once heard that during the Christian walk, you’re either going through a storm, coming out of a storm, or one is coming your way! While storms (trouble on the job, financial woes, relationship drama) are no fun, we can be assured of two things: 1) Storms come, but they don’t last forever (even though it doesn’t feel like it) and 2) God is there with us during the storm (Mathew 8:23-27) even though it may not feel like it.
Well lately friend, I can hardly tell whether I’m coming or going. While prayer is key and venting to friends is helpful, what’s been helping me to get through lately is the ministry of song! I’m talking about the organ playing, tambourine slinging, sanging and shouting that can be found through Gospel music. I need to hear the testimonies of the seasoned saints who’ve been through more than a few of life’s storms to help get me through! These 15 songs have been in heavy rotation for me these past few weeks and I hope they might be able to encourage you in whatever storm you may be facing!
Going Through a Storm:
1. Yolanda Adams- The Battle is Not Yours
2. Mary Mary- Can’t Give up Now
3. Mary Mary- In the Morning
4. Fred Hammond ft. John P. Kee- Wait on the Lord
5. Fred Hammond- No Weapon
6. Fred Hammond- We’re Blessed
Coming Out of A Storm:
7. Clark Sisters- Jesus Brought the Sunshine
8. Kirk Franklin ft. Salt- Stomp
9. Byron Cage- I Will Bless the Lord
10. Norman Hutchins- God’s Got a Blessing
11. Donald Lawrence- Encourage Yourself
12. Mary Mary- Shackles (Praise You)
For Storms to Come:
13. Fred Hammond- Jesus Be a Fence
14. Mary Mary- God in Me
15. Mary Mary- Thankful
Are any of these Gospel greats on your playlist? Comment and tell me your go to songs for weathering a storm!
-A Black Girl About Town